Kinetic Forum
Please log in to post on our forum!
Kinetic Forum
Please log in to post on our forum!
Kinetic Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go back to main websiteHomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What made you buy a computer and when?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

What made you buy a computer and when? Empty
PostSubject: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 7:19 pm

It's all very obvious we love our machines, I was wondering what got you interested? Also what kind of machine or anything else you want to share about how Computers changed your life?

For me, my first video game/computing power introduction was a What made you buy a computer and when? 200px-Atarisearspong ... I was soo excited! Amazing, playing tennis on your TV...it was science fiction in a way. Altho computing has been goin on since decades before me. It wasn't barely a part of everyday conversation. It was something scientists some business and scholars used. Was crazy to have a compute ability put into a machine just for the pleasure of playing that game.
]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 am

Here is the stats of the first computer I ever played around with. the machine was pretty amazing at the time hehe.

Commodore vic 20

Quote :
Type Home computer
Release date 1980 (VIC-1001) / 1981
Discontinued 1985
Operating system Commodore BASIC 2.0
CPU MOS Technology 6502 @ 1.108404 MHz (PAL) [1] @ 1.02 MHz (NTSC)
Memory 5 KB - 64 KB
Graphics VIC 176 x 184 3-bpp

5kb memory so much space!!

Commodore 64 was my first computer and it rocked.. it was like someone nowadays stuck a top of the line custom machine in your hand. that was how much better the upgraded machine was.

Quote :
Type Home computer
Release date August 1982
Discontinued April 1994
Operating system Commodore KERNAL/Commodore BASIC 2.0
CPU MOS Technology 6510
@ 1.02 MHz (NTSC version)
@ 0,985 MHz (PAL version)
Memory 64 kB RAM + 20 kB ROM
Graphics VIC-II (320 x 200, 16 colors, sprites, raster interrupt)
Connectivity 2x CIA 6526 Joystick, Power, Cartridge, RF, A/V, IEEE-488 Floppy/Printer,

well ya know them crappy dial up connections that are 56k (up to 56000?) our speeds then were 300 speed (300 baud) basically lol. But we didn't have nifty pictures to upload or download...the best machine had 1mhz processor and 64kb of full memory usage. For example them pig emoticons to the left...the machine capacity is to show maybe 18 of them and 7 typed words.

300Digital tape, GPIO/RS-232
Predecessor Commodore VIC-20
Back to top Go down
QueadluunRau
Executor
Executor
QueadluunRau

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 1:34 pm

Well i have owned a number of computer, being gateway the first... never again...

Anyways, i buy the BMW's of laptops, SONY, cant go wrong, never had problems. My first SONY laptop was some years ago, i needed it for work, played games well. but as the years passed she was getting old. PGC-27FR i think it was. Ended up getting another laptop, SONY again, and she is better than the old one of course. For some reason i have this fetish for laptops.. ya i ended up getting 2 more SONY's ❤ I use one for work/game (PWI) and the other? Well, PWI and personal stuff like photoshop, GIMP ftw. The work model im using is VGN-NS240E, i love and i started to love Vista. Anyways dont know all the specs to my other laptops but its got some highend features. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Swiiss
Marshal
Marshal
Swiiss

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 pm

I've gone through quite a few PC's in my lifetime. this beauty i'm running now is a custom build PC running window's XP. can't go wrong with a clean install of Windows on a custom comp :inlove:

Not quite the same machine she started out as though. Over the years I've had to replace the graphics card, motherboard(last one caught fire), added a bunch of ram, and of course upgraded the peripherals :D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:53 pm

Cool, cool. Yeah, mine was originally an HP ..the one I am using now. But since been gutted and refurbished all but motherboard. The MoBo is still kickin for some reason hehe. All told, I would say over 50 actual machines created so far with many upgrades every time hehe. Love tinkering around with things.

Back in the day of Commodore 64's, you had to pull out a solder gun and say a few prayers, when you wanted to force an upgrade. I am so glad them days are long gone and Plug and Play is truly our friend!! (tho folks still love to pull out the solder gun, but they are just crazy lol)
Back to top Go down
Thiele
Commissioner
Commissioner
Thiele

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:54 pm

I know we have a gateway... its prolly one of the newer ones because it runs very nice! It's my older sister's but she's in college so i use it >:D
Back to top Go down
Swiiss
Marshal
Marshal
Swiiss

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 28, 2009 9:56 pm

yea gateways can be nice, but they're usually perdy generic.

I've gone through several HP/Compaq PC's. Great computer, although they sometimes don't like to be upgraded :oops:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 4:42 pm

Yeah, gateways are nice. It's a "don't fix it, if it ain't broke" type of situation. If the PC is doing what you want, then it's a fantastic computer. My PC is far from "the best" by most benchmark testing standards, but for my needs right now it does most of what I want it to do. It would have been considered "very nice" back in 2003 or 2004 LOL.

Yeah Swiiss, OMG you are so right about the HP/Compaq's. Most of them I had to break into their "safelocks" and reprogram their stupid settings on files saying "you cannot do this, only we at your PC manufacturer are allowed to". Literally, in some instances it took me days of persistence. A few instances I just said screw it, gutted it, and started from scratch because the evil greedy corporate devils decided to solder extra chips on the motherboard to make it impossible to do everything we might want it to do because it doesn't add to their economic bottom end. :evil:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:02 pm

No idea when we got our first computer... since it was around the time when you could actually have internet at home.

But my own personal computer was when I was around 14. No way I can tell you anything about it since my step dad built it for me and I've never bought a new computer since (except for the laptop, and even then it was a present).
I still have the same computer but it has been updated every now and then... still not sure what's in it though :lol:

AND IT HAS A PRETTY GREEN CASE AND LED LIGHTS! :D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 6:08 pm

3 cheers for pretty green lights! :lol:

If it works for what you want it to AND looks good, you can't get better than that! ☮
Back to top Go down
Psilo
Executor
Executor
Psilo

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 7:50 pm

I can't remember the name of my first "computer" it was that thing that only had asteroids on it. 8)

Then came Vic 20 -> Apple -> 386 and so on...

Oh and the first online game I got into was Sniper (later Subspace and now Continuum)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What made you buy a computer and when?   What made you buy a computer and when? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What made you buy a computer and when?
Page 1 of 1